Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Difference

In the Christian tradition that I grew up in, Advent was not a profound time of year; it was overshadowed by Christmas. However, when I began going to an Episcopal Church as a 13 year old, I began to look at Advent in the light of Christmas and I began to experience something remarkable. When we sang advent hymns like “Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus” and “O come, O come, Emmanuel,” for me came the realization that from a small obscure beginning came the King of the Universe. Advent made all the difference in the world to me from that time forward. I longed for that in my life; the small beginning that transformed the world.

We live in a world in which bigger and better defines much of life. We are overshadowed by super size, super stars, and high definition. We view life through a lens that so magnifies what we expect out of the world that we tend not to see the miracles that come from small, seemingly obscure beginnings.

It never ceases to amaze me that God often begins with small things and inadequate people. In the Gospel of John, Chapter 1, beginning in verse 19, appointed for Advent 4, we see John the Baptist being questioned by the Pharisees; a rag tag man whom many thought was crazy; a homeless man who lived off bugs and wild honey proclaiming the coming of the Christ. It certainly seems that God could have chosen "bigger" things and "better" people to do His work in the world. John was proclaiming the coming of the Lord. He yearned for Jesus’ coming, even in the midst of crisis he found joy in that small beginning, and made a difference in the world at that time.

God can do anything with the smallest of things, with the most unlikely of people, and in the most hopeless of circumstances. I think that is part of the wonder of the Advent Season. He does it with us.

I am convinced that one of the main purposes of Advent is to provide hope, to give us cause to rejoice, to proclaim once again that the Savior of the world is coming.

As Advent comes to a close, look to the incarnation, look for the longing of Christ in your life, and invite someone to Church to share this special season with. Maybe they too will experience the same yearning of Advent as I did so many years ago…

Be the Difference

+Ian