Sunday, January 17, 2010

Being Patient...

“Patience is a virtue.” How many times has this saying rolled off the lips of mothers throughout time? We live in an instant gratification world and we have a tendency to operate in “crisis” mode when we don’t get what we want.

I know that God is perfect and that his timing is perfect as do many of you. Yet, even I sometimes wish that His timing would coincide with my timing. It seems whenever we rush into something or pace the floor over some situation, we finally realize that we have no control. We are truly wasting our time - time better spent bringing the situation before God in prayer.

"For I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance." (Philippians 1:19)

The Apostle Paul, writer of the letter to the Philippians, had good reason to feel impatient. He was unfairly imprisoned, his opponents were attacking his reputation, and his ministry seemed to be in jeopardy. Yet, there was Paul sitting in prison and stating that what had happened would turn out for the best.

If it were me, I would be wondering not only how this would turn out for the best, but when this would happen! With each passing hour in that prison, I would be losing more and more of my patience.

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death." (Philippians 1:20)

This passage should be mind blowing for us. Paul could remain patient in prison because all he cared about was bringing glory to Christ even if that meant a longer stay in prison. The only thing he wanted was the courage to properly honor Christ.

Was it tough for Paul to be in prison? Of course it was. Was it difficult for Paul to sit in prison while his ministry was under attack? Of course it was. Did Paul have a desire to be free and continue to do the Lord's work on the outside? He was human, wasn't he? Paul, however, also understood that the Lord's plans and timing were much better than his. Therefore, Paul figured he would leave the timing up to the Lord, and in the meantime he would live to bring glory to the Lord... whether in prison or out, whether by life or by death.

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21)

Paul wanted his life to be all about Christ. Even if he had to remain imprisoned, his life would have still been about Christ! If he died, he knew there was the great reward waiting for him - eternal life with Christ - eternal life with his Savior with no pain or suffering, no death or sorrow, and no prisons! It kind of puts our problems in better perspective.

Be patient…

Bishop Ian