Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bike rides, Wildlife and God

Occasionally someone asks me why I ride a bicycle. I think back to my time as a child and remember it was the best mode of transportation available. It was also the workhorse when I delivered newspapers. As a child I hated gym class. I was a total klutz. I was always the last one picked when choosing team members. I simply wasn't any good at sports, and the taunts of my classmates ensured that I would forever view exercise as torture.

It’s not the same now. Riding my bike gives me two great benefits; first a time in prayer, which is very good for my soul’s health. Second, riding is something I need to do physically as well. I have diabetes (Type II), so it’s also good for my body’s health.


"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." (1 Timothy 4:8)


I am redeemed and I don’t fear death. But I am mindful of my responsibility to take care of my body, as well as my soul. As a child, I recall enjoying the time alone with my thoughts as I rode, but I didn't think of it as exercise at the time. Riding my bike felt like total freedom when I was a 10 year old. And in a different way, and for different reasons, it’s also freedom to a 54 year old.


Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. (Romans 12:12)


I like to ride early. I get up, feed the cats, let the dog out, and fill my water bottles. I mentally go over what route I will take, the 22 or the 30 mile course. Each one winds around lakes and trees with lots of wildlife to look at. Occasionally I find the wayward Florida Box turtle that needs a hand up over the curb, or I hear the screech of a Red-shouldered Hawk, or the ospreys hovering over the lakes looking for breakfast. The wild turkeys scratch the ground just at the forest’s perimeter. More importantly it’s my time to be alone with God and my thoughts.


Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. (Colossians 4:2)


So why do I ride? To give thanks to God for my type II Diabetes. I know that sounds strange, but it keeps me focused on my health and it keeps me on my knees. Without it I would not be riding my bike. And it's is a unique and special time alone with God that I never would have had.


Be healthy of body and soul,


Bishop Ian