Sunday, May 23, 2010

An Alternative Ministry

I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. (1 Corinthians 9:23,24)

As you know I have been blogging and emailing about the Tour de Cure, a 68 mile bicycle ride from Jacksonville to St. Augustine benefiting The American Diabetes Association. It was a fundraising event, nothing “church” about it. Many of you generously donated who are not from the church, but you gave because you knew I am a diabetic and that this event meant a lot to me.

“A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” (Proverbs 11:25)

The verse from Proverbs tells us we are to be in the business of building up and blessing others. The benefit of doing this is that people are refreshed because we help to refresh them. Your generosity added value to my life as a person living with diabetes because you cared enough about the cause. I was able to raise over $1100.00 dollars and for that I want to thank everyone.
Yesterday’s event wasn’t a “race” per se, yes there were teams in colorful jerseys and assigned rider numbers; there were teams from other states, and street racing teams with $3000.00 dollar carbon fiber frames. There were recumbent bikes, tandem bikes, beach cruisers, and even a tiny little bike with training wheels with its tiny little rider wearing an “I Ride With Diabetes” jersey.

One of my friends and a member of the Church, Dan Crowley joined me for the ride. Dan and his wife Trish picked me up at 6:00 am and dropped Dan and I off at the starting point. The game plan for us was simple. Steady pace and pray we don’t fall off. By God’s grace Dan and I rolled across the finish line 6 hours later. We had ridden 67.8 miles at an average speed of 15.2 miles per hour and without the check point stop times our total ride time was 4hrs and 46 min. We had finished what we started out to do.

There are many ways to give, many worthy causes. When we give we refresh others, as a result you also will be refreshed. You will experience the joy and contentment of knowing that life matters, that you are actually making a difference in the lives of others.

As I have said before. Diabetes changed my life, riding my bike has changed it as well. This is the first time I have ever done a ride for others. It won’t be the last. As Dan and I made our way to the third checkpoint he said, “We need to start our own team.” I agreed, and Team Resurrection was born. Join us or look for us in October, a 60 mile ride to raise money to find a cure for Multiple Sclerosis. This is our alternative ministry and we’re becoming the hands and feet of Christ.

You won’t be able to miss us; next time we will have our own colorful team jersey.

"Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable." (1 Corinthians 9:25)

Be Alternative,

Bishop Ian