Monday, January 10, 2011

The Authentic Deacon

There are two types of deacons. Transitional - those of us in the beginning of ordained ministry were learning the ministerial ropes as we waited out our time before being ordained a Priest. We were supposed to be learning the role of servant, yet I truly question how many actually did.

I think many liturgical churches have overlooked the authentic role of the Vocational or Permanent deacon. The role of vocational deacons is to bring the church to the world and the world to the church; to lead us out of our comfortable pews and into the ministry beyond the brick and mortar.

As a deacon, I served an Episcopal Church in California. I remember Fr. Doyle, the priest who presented me for ordination, stating, “The role of the priest is to bring the good news to the world. The role of the deacon is to bring the bad news back."

Ok, I confess I didn’t have a clue what he was talking about at the time, but I soon came to realize the real world reality of Fr. Doyle’s comment. I was the “parochial gopher,” which meant I was the man on the ground for everything from hospitality ministry to chairing every committee the parish had. I wasn’t just serving at the altar; I was the hands and feet of our local congregation and the community at large. If any member of the congregation had a concern, grievance, or illness they came to me. And so I learned well the meaning of being the bearer of the bad news during my year as a transitional deacon.

Vocational deacons serve permanently, and in my opinion every congregation should have them. Not because we need someone to push all the stuff on that we don’t have time to do, but to be a servant leader among the congregation. Yes, all of us are called in some capacity to be ministers in the church, lay and clergy alike. Some we ordain to lead us, and through their ordination they will lead and highlight the value of our ministry.

"Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives." Titus 3:14

Priests tend and grow the flock; deacons are there to pull us out of ourselves and move beyond the flock. As Christians, we understand that we are saved by grace, not by works. However, we are all called to serve; ordained or not, to the challenges of doing good works that God has planned in advance for us to do.

Heeding his calling to serve, Gene A. Morse, was ordained as a Deacon on January 9, 2011 in Resurrection Protestant Episcopal Church. He was called to this ministry not by self but by God. This is not for Gene’s own glory but that God’s glory would be shown through his work in our community. Gene is battling cancer and worked tirelessly through his study program for the deaconate during his chemo and radiation therapies.

But, here’s the thing; every Christian’s mission in life is to bring glory to God and blessings to others - not just to receive, but to do. No matter what challenges we face in this physical life we are still called upon to be doers - that God’s grace can be shown through us. The result of being a doer is that we are blessed in ways that are immeasurably greater than any physical ailment or affliction.

In the last two churches where I served as a Rector, I was privileged to serve alongside deacons. Liturgically, they set the table, and assist at Holy Communion, emphasizing their servant ministry. But, far beyond their help during the service, I cannot imagine how we would have done our work without them. They are that important.

We have all been granted gifts to be able to bring glory to God and blessings to His people. Deacon Gene Morse has embraced his abundant God-given gifts and become the “hands and feet of Christ.”

Congratulations Gene, I look forward to authentic ministry with you.

Be of Service,

Bishop Ian


Presiding Bishop Del Murray with Bishop Ian Anderson ordaining Gene Morse to office of Deacon.