Sunday, May 15, 2011

Blessed Are The Meek

Remember this? “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.” I had an interesting conversation with someone recently who has been accused of being too bold in their approach to most things in life - marriage, relationships etc. But when I used the term “meek” he scrunched up his face like that was somehow unmanly. Now the Bible lists many benefits of meekness.


“The meek shall be satisfied.” “The meek He will guide and teach.” “The meek will become wise.” “The meek will be filled with fresh joy.”


There are lots of other references, but we in the modern church misunderstand this term. None of us really know what meekness is. In fact we often confuse it with another term that sounds like it. Meek sounds like weak right. And nobody wants to be weak, so nobody wants to be meek.


But the truth is meekness and weakness is at the exact opposite ends of the spectrum. The cool thing here is that the Greek word for meekness literally means “strength under control.” Like when a wild horse is tamed and taught to be ridden, the horse still has all the strength it had when it was wild but now it is strength under control for the master’s use.


Look, God doesn’t want you to be weak but He does want you to be meek, having strength under control. If I were to give you a simple definition of the word “meek” I would give you this phrase: let go and let God. That is the essence of meekness. It is surrendering, submitting, agreeing to what God wants to do in your life. It’s letting God be God in your life. Let go and let God.


Easier said than done? OK, look at it this way. Every morning you and I get up and we have a decision to make; whose going to be in charge of my life? Who’s the Boss? Who’s going to be the manager of my life, me or God? Who’s going to be in control, me or God? Who’s going to call the shots, me or God? Who’s going to be the one who directs and leads, me or God? Every day, moment by moment you are making that decision. When you choose to make yourself the manager of your own life it causes conflict, it causes confusion, it causes stress. You must let go and let Christ be the manager of your life.


"Agree with God, and be at peace; thereby good will comes to you. (Job 22:21)


How many of you would like to have peace at last and have things go well? Everybody this verse tells us: stop, let go and let God.


Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. (Matthew 16:24)


Basically Jesus is telling his disciples, you’re not in the driver’s seat. I am.”


I have a confession to make. I am a closet backseat driver. As long as I am in the driver’s seat, as long as I am in control. Everything is fine. As soon as I let Robin drive, I am nervous wreck. I find myself holding on to the door handle, and nearly putting my foot through the floor trying to apply a brake that isn’t there. And it’s not that Robin is a bad driver. She is an excellent driver. It’s just that I’m not in control. I’m not in the driver’s seat.


It’s exactly the same in our spiritual life. When we become Christians we say, “Ok, Jesus, You take over the driver’s seat.” We then promptly hop into the passenger seat and then do back seat driving. Jesus is in the driver’s seat of my life but I’m looking over His shoulder saying, “No, turn this way! Stop. Wait. Faster! I want to go that way. Or slow down. You’re going too fast. Don’t get so close. Wait that’s not the road I want to go down!” And Jesus says, “Am I the driver or not?”


Here’s the bottom line, if you don’t have an authority in your life you’re going to listen to all different kinds of conflicting opinions. One day you’ll decide this and another day you’ll decide that and then one day you can’t decide and indecision causes stress. But if you decide that God's Word is going to be the authority of your life it simplifies decision making. By knowing what the book says personal opinion now gives way to godly admonition and instruction.


The Bible is filled of all kinds of rules and commands. God says do this, don’t do that, make sure you do this. Why does He do that? Because He is a loving God and everything that’s in this book is not there to make your life miserable. It’s there to protect you. It’s there for your own health. It’s there for your own good. A loving God who knows more than you is saying, “Here are the rules for life. If you ignore them you only get hurt.”


Like it or not you’re going to have to serve somebody. And right now you’re controlled by something. It may be popular culture. It may be the opinions of others, or the approval of your parents. You may be controlled by your husband or your wife. You may be controlled by your own desires, appetites and drives. You may be controlled by an addiction or a habit. You may be controlled by a memory. You may even be controlled by your own ego. But everybody is controlled by something.


You are going to have to trust someone. Whether you trust yourself, or another it will fail unless you learn to be meek and until you trust enough to commit your whole life and will to God, you are going to be constantly looping on the white knuckle roller coaster known as self.


Still there is that one thing that will keep some of you from taking that step, a lack of trust. It takes trust to take a step. So let me ask you why wouldn’t you trust God? Why wouldn’t you trust the creator who made you, who loved you and sent His Son to die for you? Why would you not trust God? Did He let you down somehow? Didn’t take the turn you thought He should, tuned left and you wanted to go right? Didn’t drive your life the way you wanted? How’s the view from back there?


If you’ve consciously chosen to commit your life and will to Christ’s care and control, it is not enough to do it just one time in your life. You’ve got to do it every single day of your life. On a moment by moment basis if you need to. It’s a constant decision: Meekness, learning to let go and let God. If you haven’t made that commitment yet… Buckle up!


Be meek in spirit,


Bishop Ian